This week, a date was announced (31st March) for the launch of the UK Radio Player, or Radioplayer as it’s now known. On that date the core partners (BBC, Global, GMG and Absolute) will go live, with the next wave, hopefully, coming a couple of weeks later. We’ve been developing player consoles for our clients and it’s been fun to see everyone’s involvement evolve over the last few weeks.
Talking to radio people outside the project, there seems to be a bit of a shrug about Radioplayer’s launch. Stations have online consoles right now, after all. It’s definitely something that only really hits you when you play with it and use search and presets, flipping between stations. It’s the most normal thing in the world to use, and crazy to think it’s taken us in radio so long to get there.
Other things that i’ve seen this week:
- My friend Tim has been playing with video over the past year and he’s just made a great film, a behind the scenes look at a fake soap opera NEIGHbours. It’s a great effort, with the perfect voiceover.
- In other video news, Charlie McDonnell, uber-teen video-blogger, posted a lovely honest video about what went wrong when he was asked to do something by Comic Relief.
- I really love it when users take something in a totally new direction. There are some brilliant reviews on the Amazon page of a very dull book that lists ‘random numbers’.
- Andy flagged up the end of David Cameron’s interview on the One Show where there is a stunning (and I imagine accidental) …and finally question.
- Next week i’m off to Radio Days Europe and will be blogging some of the sessions. Please send me a note if there’s anything particular that you want me to cover for you.
I’ll leave you with a brilliant perfectly on brand tweet from E4: